Wednesday 22 January 2014

Back to basics: Doing me in a new and different way



As we grow older and mature, we begin to realize what we need and what we need to leave behind. 25. Twenty-five. This is the age that saw me draw the line. Over the years I had allowed people to come into, and leave my life as their air filled heads please, to drown my heart in a pool of pain and to influence and manipulate me to do things that I in my state of sanity would have never done.25. Twenty-five. This is the age that saw me going back to the drawing board and deciding that I had enough of bull shit.The age that saw me reaching a life changing decision, which was to stop the growing up mission, but hop on the maturity wagon.

Looking back,I dont regret anything I did (I hope you dont believe that because I'm pulling your leg, some I regret, but I choose to let the regrets walk out of the gate). I've realised that maturity doesn't come with a number automatically attached to it. The day you turn a certain age doesn't come with a manuscript full of instructions about how one should live their life.The day you turn a certain age is just that, the day you age(uyaguga.lol). Period. Sometimes it comes with wrinkles(you can imagine the screaming and kicking a few days before one turns that age), sometimes people get to let out a big sigh because that age they've been waiting for to break their virginity has finally arrived on their doorstep, while for some, it's that age they've been waiting for to get out of their parent's home and find their own crib that comes without mom or dad's rules. While turning a certain age is awesome for some, it proves to be the opposite for others because they haven't achieved what they had hoped they would have by that age. All in all*Sigh*, turning a certain age can be such a dread.

Turning a certain age is referred to as growing up. Getting tall. Seeing the twins on your chest grow to an unbelievable double d (DD) size,hips (that sometimes lie) widening (amoeba species shaped individuals excluded on this one, lol), a hoarse voice for the male counterpart, wet dreams and growth in size of certain parts of certain areas of the body.Yep, it's all about maturing biologically. But not mentally or psychologically, for most people. Mental maturity has very little to do with turning a certain age, but everything to do with one's ability to react, cope and reason in an appropriate way for the situation at hand. It is learnt from life experiences, but only if one is willing to learn from those experiences.

The last two months of the previous year,2013 have seen me sitting down and doing some introspection about my life, my dreams and what I had achieved since the year started. I realised then that some things had gone wrong. I hadn't been true to myself most of the year, and had allowed people to manipulate me to live the life that is not mine, but theirs. I had turned 25(yep, half ya 50), but I was still bending wherever the wind blew...with goals jotted down but without action to bring them to life.I realised I had made choices based on the choices some people that I had let into my life made, and that really made me lose focus on what I wanted in life, but sing along and dance to other people's tunes. I felt trapped by these people, and realised it was time I set myself free.


I had to compare the current person I was then; to the person I wanted to be in the future.I had to think of the days after the day I went back to the drawing board, because there's always a tomorrow (if not on earth then in heaven). In order for me to be what and who I desired to be,I had to make a few changes in my life, I had to cut out people who I thought were a threat to my life, especially negative people who has succeeded in turning me into one of them, and create new rules and standards for myself (yep,I now come with terms and conditions attached). Change had to be implemented, and it was befitting that I do me in a new way. Counting my blessings was another thing that I had to do, one by one.I actually found out that I was far more blessed than most people (Praise the Lord oh my soul), and yet, still yearned for more. It is only today that I realise I was selfish, and this life isn't fair at all-to anyone. We can't always get what we want, but rather we should make the best out of what God has blessed us with. This led me to my dictionary-which defined contentment for me.It was defined as the state of being happy and satisfied, and acknowledging it.I had a job,a child,a family and amazing friends (Psalm 103-continue praising Him) but still wanted more. I wanted all great things I had to be even greater, meanwhile forgetting that some people were not blessed enough to find a job soon after completing their degrees like I was, to have someone they called family, and enough to be able to give birth and have people willing to be friends with them. It was time I appreciated what I had.
It was time I started to think and react in an appropriate way to the situation.

It was time. It was time to mature. It was time to take my life back. It was time to do me in a new, deserving and mature way. I had to rely on my self to make important decisions about my life, decisions not influenced by anyone. It was time I ignored the bad comments I had previously allowed to push me a step behind.
It was about time I became self sufficient. Time to say what I thought loud and clear, not to hold back and to mean what I say. Most importantly, it was time to learn to respect myself and those around me, to rely on my gut and allow God to take over every decision I make because he has plans to prosper us all.(Jeremiah 29 vs 11).

This year,2014, is my year of maturity, of abundance and more blessings. This year shall reek of happiness, success and yes!!!!maturity, both spiritually and mentally, the year that shall drip of love. This is the year that my yearning for God's presence in my life will be greater, and satisfied. I am grateful to the wrong crowd of people that came into my life to help open my eyes, and to God, for opening my eyes.

#Allowmetosharethiswithyou... Introspection helps, you should try it sometime. You might just find out that you need to start doing you in a different way..

PS. Thank you for reading.:-)

2 comments:

  1. To leave a comment please click on the view web version and click on comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a linguist, I tend to first follow construction then attend to the content. I've noticed something in your writing. The word choice and structure of it is raw. True. It exposes rather conceals you, Tshegofatso. I find that enticing. I enjoy feeling like I am sitting ko dining room le wena and we are chatting up a storm and you are telling me of your latest revelation.

    The Content: quarter of a century. Blimey! What a good time to order your life. I look forward to seeing more of that unfold in the next while. "Be bold and dream. And ACT!" This is what you have reminded me of. Spanx!

    ReplyDelete